Thursday 1 March 2007

Some good books

I had a little look through my book shelf last night, looking for something to read before going to bed. I thought I'd just write up a super quick review from a few of my favourites.

Screenwriting:

Story - Robert McKee



The classic book on screen writing. This was one of the first screenwriting books I ever got and has to be one of my favourites. If you get the chance to go to one of Robert McKee's seminars, go. He is very entertaining, says what he thinks and it made for an entertaining and information packed few days.

Anyway, back to the book. Well, in it he gives a good explanation of what makes a good story. He talks about structure and planning and its importance (ever written 40 pages and then hit a brick wall or got to the end of the screen play and found out that you've got the soggiest act 2 in history? Thats where McKee says structure would help). He also discusses the concept of the controlling idea/theme of a screenplay and how that should shape the whole piece.

All in all a good read.


Save the cat



I only recently got this book. I like it for its humourous non-academic tone and different take on screenwriting. If you're only interested in writing for experimental or fringe films then you'll probably not like it, as it is very main stream focussed. I liked the "rules for screenwriting", with rules like "Pope in the pool" and "Double mumbo jumbo", you can't go wrong.


Film making:

Developing Digital Short films



One of the things I liked most about this book was the discussions on theme and colour composition.

There are several chapters that discuss in some detail the use of visual motifs, theme development and how they give your film that extra level of punch.




Directing:

Directing Actors



Directing actors does exactly what it says on the tin. It tells you how to get the best performance from your actors. I found it a great help, with the steps to take, to go from script to blocking and staging. Also, it gives a number of easy ways, to help your actors find different levels within a scene. Well worth a look.

No comments: